Monday, May 16, 2005
Book Review #2
A Portrait of a Lady
by Henry James

I do not recommend this book to those that prefer dialogue to discription. Henry James is an author that puts a great deal of attention on detail. I found myself skipping almost whole chapters and still not missing a beat as far as the story goes. Personally, I was disappointed in the herione, but that may be because of my views on feminism.

Isabel Archer, an American 23yr-old orphan with high ideals and high expectations of the world, arrives in England where she meets with long-estranged family members. Her cousin, Ralph, proves to be a valuable companion and friendly adviser and her ailing uncle, who simply adores his young niece and, when he dies, he leaves her a large income.

Isabel now has beauty, wealth, intelligence, and friends who take a interest in helping her, yet she is self absorbed and seems to willfully embrace those that would destroy her, and shuns those that truly care for her. Scorning several "eligible" suitors, she fixes on a fortune hunter, despite the counsel of those dearest to her. She finds herself disillusioned and literally caught by a man who cares little for her. Faced with a decision that will change her life, the decision of deserting her husband and stepdaughter or continuing to live under the authority she has chosen for herself, she chooses what I'd call the right decision, in that it is biblically supported whereas the alternative would have left me greatly disappointed in her character. Many, I'm sure, would argue that a woman should never be trapped into such a marriage and should escape if she could, but this is a discussion/debate for other posts.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. Even though it frustrated me that it took so long to read through the simplest scenarios, it did keep me interested enough to finish the book.
posted by cori 5/16/2005 12:54:00 PM  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
The Last Leaf
Summer Saturday
Do You See What I See?
I have what my mother calls an "amazing" knack of ...
Windy Acre Railroad
A very comfortable position.Who's driving this tra...
This is the main engine of the Windy Acre Railroad.
Unsolved Mysteries
A Good Idea
Volleyball Party!
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win