Saturday, May 07, 2005
By Myself Like A Big Girl
Ah, loneliness. That feeling of being by yourself. It's not always a bad thing. In fact, today, it's a good thing. My family heard about a big event in Lancaster this weekend at the railroad museum. That's what attracted James. Mom went off with him to go shopping for dress fabric. Dad went too. I don't think he really wanted to go. I really think he didn't want to get up at seven on a Saturday morning. But he went with the intent of getting in some archery practice at an indoor range somewhere. I didn't go. Those of you who know me well, know well why.

So here I am. Planting flowers, baking bread, sewing clothes. That's another reason it's good to be alone today. I could never get the sewing done with Mom around because I'm making her a new dress for Mother's day. James bought her some big azaleas. She loves those. I am supposed to be making a lemon merangue pie too, but I forgot to get white sugar for the topping. This was resolved during a bike ride (It's so beautiful out I couldn't pass it up.) to Manda's house. I love riding on her end of town. All the roads are nice and smooth... and flat. We covered a lot of territory, both pyshically and conversationally. I went home with a cup of sugar (Thanks Davises!) and got down to baking business.

Unfortunately, I had seen Lauren making merangue cookies at her house. That set me craving them. Then that set me craving other sweets. I ended up making not only my mom's lemon pie, but also those cookies. And "hmm, what am I going to do with these left over egg yolks?" led to oatmeal scotchies and other cookies that don't take white sugar. I made a whole batch and put them in the freezer before anyone got home. I didn't want everybody to know we had goodies to eat, because then we wouldn't. Know what I mean?

Boy, am I beat... but it's a good beat.
posted by cori 5/07/2005 09:49:00 AM  
 
4 Comments:
  • At 5/07/2005 10:15 AM, Blogger Drive by Commenter said…

    This blog is making me hungry.

     
  • At 5/07/2005 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha ha ha! I love desserts, and I havn't had A lemon merangue pie in ages! But boy is "drive by" right. This blog makes me hungry too. Guess I know one site NOT to visit when I'm ravenous!

     
  • At 5/09/2005 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Regarding your previous post, I do think that's basically what patriotism is except in America's case we have the option of believing our country is superior to all others because it is. Every nation has problems becasue they are all made up of people, but we have liberated more people (the French twice) and have lifted more out of hopelessness than any nation in history. We are the only ones in history as well to have a huge technological advantage in warfare and not use it for conquest, but for liberation. As much as we have strayed as of late, America was founded based on beliefs grounded on the Bible which set the understanding that God gives rights and Govn't "secures" them. This is why if the 'gates' of all the worlds nations were taken down, the world would flood to America.

     
  • At 5/09/2005 7:56 AM, Blogger cori said…

    I have to agree that the U.S. is a great country. After all, we are the only ones that have lasted 200+ years without overthrowing the government.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
Isn't this true of everyone?
Something to Think About
Cause and Effect
An Irish Proverb (the best kind)
Book Review #1
Waxing Poetic
Saturday Afternoons
That's a first.
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win