Friday, December 30, 2005
Misty Paths
This was one beautiful day!

James and I had piano lessons today. Mrs. Bell's place is so gorgeous that sometimes I just can't resist going out for a walk. Most people like it best in the summertime, with the sun shining an dthe birds singing in the trees. But what drew me out today was the cold wind, the rain and the alluring mist hanging over the river.

I headed out across the field, directing my steps to the wooden bench that sits under that big, seemingly lifeless tree. As my shoes sank a little in the wet earth, I looked back to see my footprints following me from the house. I smiled to myself and thought, "That's cute."

I looked ahead again, and redirected myself as by looking downward while I walked I had gone slightly off course. Reaching the clearing, I saw the low branch of a tree and was reminded of our piano recital and how I insisted on riding inside the golf cart after Derek drove under that branch. I smiled again and walked toward the bench.

I stopped before reaching it. I wished I had a camera. The mist hovering over the water was shrouding everything past a hundred feet. I could see clearly the little peninsula of grass with the bench in the middle. It was surrounded on all sides by reeds taller than me. I could look over the reeds and see little rivers going off in three different directions, each separated by a clump of marshes here and there.

I didn't want to go further. I wanted to stand there and look at it. It was a good view. If I went down to the bench, I would not be able to see above the reeds. But I went anyway. I sat down, pulling my jacket down as far as I could to sit on it and keep my skirt from getting damp.

I looked up into the sky. The limbs of the tree above me were bare. It looked dead. The only sound I could hear was the rain hitting the leaves on the ground beneath the tree. It was loud and as I held my face toward the sky, I felt the water begin to run down my face. It hit my forehead and cheeks and ran down my chin. I could have wiped it away, but it felt good. Besides, I wasn't about to take my hands from their warm pockets.

After fifteen minutes, I decided to walk some more. Along the tree line, which I normally avoid during summer months because of the snakes, I wound my way in and out among the pines. I stopped when I reached the point where the path turned in toward the dock. I stepped over a log and pile of wet leaves. Down the dock and up to the water. It was high tide. The mist still covered from sight the other side of the river.

Two ducks startled me as they took flight. I hadn't expected to see any animals out in the rain.

Ten minutes I sat there, contemplating the millions of ripples that constantly formed. Circles overpowering smaller circles and making way for larger ones. The largest ripples continuing on until they faded into the mass of tiny waves on the water.

It was cold. I looked up at the sky a second time. It was completely white. I opened my mouth to catch the raindrops. As I closed my eyes, small drops hit my chin, my hair, and my eyelashes. I sat there still. When I opened my eyes, the rain was dripping from my hair. My bangs held tiny drops on the ends that fell when I shook my head.

I stood to walk some more and found myself on a path scattered with wet brown leaves. Grass was peeking through a bright emerald green color, in stark contrast to the dreariness around me. If it had not been so dreary, I should never have noticed the color of the grass. It was so beautiful.

Along behind the pine trees and back to the house, stopping to brush my hand against the needles and make the water droplets fall. Touching them with my tongue to feel the cool rain inside my mouth.

It was a beautiful walk.

I only wished I had a friend with me to share it with. So I decided to share it with you.

:)
posted by cori 12/30/2005 08:59:00 AM  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
Deck Them Halls and All That Jazz - Part One
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words
Jbear waiting for Mom to finish dinner.
Under the Umbrella
Wanna see what I wore today?
Daddy's Gift
What a sweet little thing!
Christmas - a celebration of sacrifice
O Starry Night
Odds & Ends and other things
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win