Tuesday, May 17, 2005
"We never hurry. We hasten."
“Whoa!” she yelled, as though reining in her horse. She watched the sun as it sank lower and lower in the sky. It had been a long day.

This morning, I awoke to hear my mother announce that she was about to leave for Deptford. “Do you want to go?”
“Yeah.”
“I want to leave by nine.”
I looked (bleary-eyed) at the clock on the shelf. It was flashing bright red numbers at me. 7:34.
“My clock is flashing.”
“It’s twenty-of now.”

Great. Twenty minutes. I hopped out of a cozy bed, found a matching ensemble, brushed my hair and grabbed a purse. Sunglasses. No one would notice my “just-woke-up” eyes if I wore sunglasses. Besides, I thought, it’s going to be sunny later anyway. Skip breakfast. Just coffee is fine. Out the door and in the car in record time.

If you can believe it, these are how my favorite days start out. Rushed. I suppose I’m strange that way, but I like the hurry. It’s a game to me. How much can I pull off in the shortest amount of time? But I digress.

Deptford was actually our second stop. First stop was Mount Laurel where Dad and James looked at a gate for people who didn’t know how to get to their own office. (At least, that’s what I gathered from the directions they gave us.)

Mom and I sat in the car while we waited. James kept walking back and forth from the broken operator to the office building.

Eleven o’clock.

Noon.

About this time, we started for Deptford. Friendly’s. (You’ll recall that I said “noon.”) BLT’s and 70’s music. *rolls her eyes* Finally, I made it to AC Moore and Barnes&Noble. Mom and Dad dropped us off at B&N while they went to the mall. I looked at everything. It’s not often that I get to go into a bookstore without a set time limit. I decided on several books. Then I ended up putting them all back. I picked out some more. “James, what are you getting?” (I always compare purchases with him. It’s how I base most of my decisions.) I walked out with only four books. Ivanhoe, Peter Pan, The Prince and the Pauper, and Captains Courageous. By now it was three o’clock. I remembered that it was my turn to make dinner.

When I walked in the door, I fell to peeling potatoes and slicing carrots, finishing in time to get blogging done before someone emails me and tells me to get on the ball. :)

Well, I could really use a cup of tea. Contrary to what my psychologist tells me, (or is it psychiatrist?) tea does have a calming effect and I am not addicted to it.
posted by cori 5/17/2005 05:16:00 PM  
 
7 Comments:
  • At 5/17/2005 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting day. But tell me, how in the world can you come to YOUR final purchasing decisions by comparing them with JAMES's? How you don't come up with wierd conclusions is beyond me. But then again, I would have to say that "Captains Courageous" is a poor choice indeed. An utterly boring book - worthy of being one of Charles Dickens Sahara-dry novels.

    By the way, your PSYCHIATRIST distinctly remembers YOU saying that you were addicted to tea. Even if it is have a calming effect.

     
  • At 5/17/2005 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Les,

    I so enjoyed reading the colorful description of your day. Browsing through B&N sounds like so much fun! There's nothing quite like having a few good books to read in the quiet of an evening.
    I do have to agree with Derek that "Captain's Courageous" is not my favorite story in the world, but I most certainly do not agree with his assestment that Dickens' books are dry! I find Dickens to be a captivating author and a complete master of twisting plots with unexpected endings. Yes, his books are long, but what is more delightful than curling up with a thick classic to read before turning out the lights before bed?!

     
  • At 5/17/2005 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well Leslie,

    For my part, I think Captains Courageous" IS a good choice. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it years ago and can recall the hours I spent hanging from a tree limb pretending to be hanging from the mainmast and then fishing of the bow of Dan's boat, the name of which escapes me now. I think you will enjoy it and may I suggest
    " Kidnapped" ? Oodalloly!!! Now THAT is a good book!!!

     
  • At 5/18/2005 8:39 AM, Blogger cori said…

    Derek, asking James what he's buying usually leads to showing him what I'm buying and then his opinion of it.

    Cara, I agree with you that Derek doesn't know a good book when he sees one. Dickens is a great author, albeit somewhat hard to follow at times.

    Lauren, thank you. I have read Captain's Courageous before. My purpose for buying it was to have an unabridged copy of my own. Dan is my favorite character and even though Kipling doesn't know anything about the sea, he does a good job of creating a believable atmosphere.

    Have a great day!

     
  • At 5/18/2005 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Clarification: I didn't say that C. Dickens was a dry author per se, but rather, that he wrote some really dry books. Oliver Twist comes to mind. And for the record, I LOVE "A Tale of Two Cities."

     
  • At 5/18/2005 8:54 PM, Blogger cori said…

    Alright, I concede that Oliver Twist is indeed a Noahic flood when it comes to wading through Dickens' characteristic descriptions.

    Also, while I'm commenting, why is it beyond comprehension that I do not arrive at weird conclusions? Do you think I ought to? What are you trying to tell me?

     
  • At 9/16/2005 7:56 PM, Blogger Samara said…

    Ha, Dickens has some good stories, but his writing is truly an example of what happens when an author is "paid by the word"... lengthy descriptions doesn't even begin to describe it. BTW, have you tried any of those "Barnes & Noble Classics" that they seem to have stacked all about this season? Is that how you made your selections? I was recently in a bookstore and they had an entire display of Dover Thrift Editions; I had to snap up an entire pile of the inexpensive classics; Greek Tragedy and all that :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
Book Review #2
The Last Leaf
Summer Saturday
Do You See What I See?
I have what my mother calls an "amazing" knack of ...
Windy Acre Railroad
A very comfortable position.Who's driving this tra...
This is the main engine of the Windy Acre Railroad.
Unsolved Mysteries
A Good Idea
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win