Saturday, December 31, 2005
Overdue Creation of Holiday Delectables
Shh!


Can you keep a secret?


Don't tell anyone. It's one of those things, ya know?


In our family, as in some others I know, there are just a few things that we don't share with others.


I'm sure your family has things like that.


It could be embarrassing stories.


It could be holiday traditions. (I know you Davises think Christmas morning is sacred. ;)


It could be like our family.


It could be a recipe.


Years ago, my aunt discovered this recipe. She gave it to my grandmom. Grandma gave it to my mom. Mom gave it to me. Many times I have made these sugar cookies. They aren't too sweet. But they aren't tasteless. They taste especially grand when paired with the special icing recipe.

It's been years since I've made these cookies with my grandma. Tuesday, we had company coming. This afforded the perfect opportunity. I was supposed to make them in the morning, let them in the fridge for a while, and have them all done before company came.

However, we didn't have any eggs.

Now, I know this recipe is a secret, but I don't think it's a secret that it takes eggs and as long as I don't tell you everything else that's in them, I will not be accused of leaking information.

We had to get eggs.

Ok, well, we had to go out on another errand anyway. But hey, as long as we're going to the bank and the grocery store and the post office, we might as well go out for lunch too. My mom had been wanting to take Grandma to one particular restaurant around here. (I knew perfectly well it was Manda's day to work too, so I was in no way opposed to going. And I might add that she is the friendliest waitress-lady there. :)

After enjoying lunch together (and dessert), we made it home in plenty of time to make up the dough. I stuck it in the fridge and played on Daddy's new Xbox while I waited for it to get hard.
Soon preparations were being made to receive our guests. I was rolling out dough. I put some in the oven.

"JAMES!!! ARE YOU BUSY???"

"KIND OF!"

"WHAT'RE YOU DOING?"

"WINNING THIS LEVEL!!!"

"OK, WELL, I NEED YOU TO MAKE SOME ICING!"

"OKAY!"

I pulled a batch from the oven. Rolled out some more dough. Put some more in. Set the timer.

"JAMES?!?"

"YEAH?"

"DO YOU WANT THEM TO HAVE ICING OR NOT?"

"YEAH!"

"WELL, YOU BETTER MAKE IT!"

He came out and made a batch. Then all us girls got to work. Mom was coloring icing. Grandma was decorating trees and snowmen. I was making them as fast as they were decorating them. I am always amazed at how many cookies that recipe makes. It seemed like we'd never finish. We ran out of icing after a while, so we just left some of them without it.

Now normally, I don't share my sugar cookie baking with anyone (last time I did, the girl I baked with swiped my secret recipe *gasp and horrors!*), but since it's just pictures, I'll share them with y'all here.
posted by cori 12/31/2005 08:57:00 AM  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
Swirlies in the Icing
One Hot Cookie
Official Cookie Icer
Official Cookie Cutter-Outer
Women in the Kitchen
Musical Talent
Misty Paths
Deck Them Halls and All That Jazz - Part One
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words
Jbear waiting for Mom to finish dinner.
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win