Saturday, January 12, 2008
The Pampered Self
Imagine the most comfortable position you could be in. A soft cushy chair, a cool down blanket, a warm rice bag by your toes, a box of white cheddar cheezits just waiting to be eaten, and a crackling fire in the hearth.

That's me right now.

Everyone is gone. My family has gone shopping. Dinner is over and clean-up is done. The lights are all out and I'm all alone. *smiles* It's the first time in months.

Today, I pampered myself. Since injuring my back last week, I've been in mild pain almost constantly. Sometimes I can forget it, but it's there still.

For me, looking sloppy makes me feel lousy. I feel better when I'm dressed up. So you can understand, I'm sure, that with high heels off limits, and a good excuse to slack off, I've slaceked off in the hair/makeup/stockings department and made myself pretty depressed. Well, depressed isn't the right word. In the mood to pamper myself is really how I felt this morning.

I slept in this morning, which I never do. Or rather, I woke at five and lay in bed until eight finishing a book I've been reading. Then, after I knew James and Mom had left (because Jbear's working today and they leave at 7:30 or so), I got a shower, and came downstairs. I still hadn't decided what to do today, but I knew I had chores to do before I could leave the house. Mom swapped out with me. I usually clean the bathrooms and she does thekitchen. But since I can't lean over to scrub the tub for a while, we switched.

Around ten o'clock, having finished chores and seen my dad off to the nearest plumbing store (he had chores today too), I set off for my favorite hair salon.

I never make appointments. This is good and bad. Good in that I'm never committed ot being there at a specific time and therefore can change plans or mind at will. Bad in that no one is expecting me and I must decide whether to wait for Janice to have a free moment, or let Marla cut my hair. Today I chose Marla and she did fine. I'll post pics tomorrow when my hair is decent looking.

Then I made off for the nearest Wawa for a cappuccino and donuts. So very unhealthy, but it tastes great!

I went and spent an hour getting my nails done at the mall. I love getting my nails done. They look so pretty when they're done. Today I really splurged and got French tips. I always used to bite my nails, so they never look very good unless I get acrylic tips put on. Then I just feel prettier and my hands are less embarrassed to show themselves. Sounds silly, but I'm a girl. We have our vanities. Mine are nails.

So, with a new haircut, fresh nail polish and time to hang around, I browsed the nearby shops at the mall. Not too many, since I did have other things to do today. I was glad I decided to exit the mall through JCPenneys, because I found a whole new outfit on sale like 70% off! Well, I say whole outfit. I mean sweater and skirt. Butit's an adorable skirt. Black and white plaid and just my size, which is unusual in itself.

So I bought it. Don't ask me why it didn't occur to me that I handed the cashier $40 when I should have handed him $20. I didn't realize it until I got to my car and took out the receipt when I found that, lo and behold, the skirt had come up $20 more than the price tag which was clearly marked right above the barcode.

Usually, I let things like that pass. But usually it's only a dollar or so. Today, I didn't let it pass. I got back in line and waited again. It had been rather a long line the first time, and it was rather long again now. But the guy remembered me. (If he hadn't, I'd have serious doubts about his memory. I'd only been gone five minutes.) And he fixed it up so I had my twenty bucks back.

Then I went and spent it on shoes at Walmart. I told you I'd get them sooner or later. But that's all I really got there of any interest. Nothing to report. It's Walmart. What do you expect? It's the same at every Walmart across the country.

So I get home, and pull out these great shoes to show my mom, and all she says is "those are the same shoes I bought." (I thought they were cute when she bought them too. I still do.) They're so extremely comfortable. I think I'll wear them to work.

And so after all this, I sit here with the fire now only a faint crackle and my box of cheezits almost empty, thinking I'd better end this post pretty soon before I either get kicked offline for the fourth time since beginning this epistle or drive myself crazy trying to correct all the typos induced by these stupid pretty nails that don't let you push less than two buttons at a time.
posted by cori 1/12/2008 07:24:00 PM  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
Success!
2008 Resolutions
*inhales deeply the smell of cardboard boxes and p...
Quick update:
That's what I get for being related...
Easily Satisfied
Can you believe it? I was actually out shopping on...
Can you say "over-exertion"?
Oh—my soul! That was—so much fun!For months now, I...
Waterfalls
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win