Sunday, August 14, 2005
Normal Sunday Afternoons
It is so hot today! 105°! On days like these, I could hug whoever invented the air conditioner. However, I’ve been sewing again today and my chair sits by the window in the sun. This circumstance is pleasant when I have hand sewing to do, as I can look out the window and enjoy the heat from indoors. Unfortunately, when it’s 3:30 in the afternoon, the sun shines directly on my chair, thus causing uncomfortable warmth. :(

At the present moment, two fellas sit behind me at the piano. There's nothing I like better than hearing someone else play the piano. Liking the piano as I do, and not having anyone around to play it, I had to learn myself. But it's not as nice as just sitting by and listening to someone else play. James and Derek are playing a duet. James is on the violin. It sounds really good. A nice lively song that I can't presently remember the title to.

Dad disappeared a little while ago to work on his truck, which broke down on the way to work yesterday. No fun. I think there's some kind of pump that's broken. He says that the fellows who manufacture these cars should have to work on them. I guess this particular part that he had to replace was ridiculously difficult to get to.

I've been reading the Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. Have you read it? I bought it for my dad for Father's Day last June. He seemed to enjoy the sword fighting and the private duels. I love to read the old romantic adventures, especially when they're set in France. It seems to be a country constantly in unrest. Every book I've ever read about France centers around some political conflict, be it the Revolution or otherwise. But then, all the French novels are by definition fictitious accounts of the times.

Do you ever read those French words aloud? I cannot pronounce them at all! I would be so embarrassed to have to read it aloud to someone. I'd stumble over every word except D'Artagnan. That one is easy. And do you ever wonder how the "common" people kept all the titles straight? I'd never remember that "His Eminence" was the cardinal and not the pope. And when people say "my lord", couldn't they just clear up any doubt and say "my lord duke" so you know who they're talking about. But the characters all seem to know what's going on.

I'll let you know how I like the ending. Endings are always the most important.
posted by cori 8/14/2005 03:36:00 PM  
 
5 Comments:
  • At 8/15/2005 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The only Dumas book I've read is The Man in the Iron Mask (a sequel to Three Musketeers). PLEASE tell me what Three Musketeers is about!

     
  • At 8/15/2005 3:48 PM, Blogger cori said…

    I read the Man in the Iron Mask too. Only I read it first, before I read the Three Musketeers.

    I'm finding TTM to be much more interesting. The characters are much more adventurous and dashing, but inclined to gamble away their assets. It's good. It's getting better. The only thing I have against it is it's length. And the story is only long because there are so many different plots going on. It's like a series of stories.

    For instance, in the Count of Monte Cristo, it was one plot with many angles. In TTM, it's many plots concerned with one set of characters.

    But it's good. I don't mind long stories if they're good.

     
  • At 8/16/2005 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Three Musketeers! I love that book! I have read it 5 or 6 times and I could still read it again. The plot(s) are excellent and never boring, and though the reading is challenging (try pronouncing "Monseigneur" correctly on your first try ;)it broadens the knowledge of the reader and gives him/her an excellent education in grammer, French, and geography (it covers France and England from Gascony to Buckingham, and from la Rochelle to Bordeaux).
    Sheesh, if I go on any longer about it I am going to want to read it all over again now!


    By the way, "monseigneur" is an honorable title in France meaning "my lord."

     
  • At 8/18/2005 11:09 AM, Blogger cori said…

    I've got a question for the French professor.

    If you stick and "x" on the end of a word, does that pronounce the "s" sound? For instance, the name of the cardinal, Richeleau, is pronounced rish-low. (Right? I hope?) Then would the name of the queen's personal clothing designer, Bonacieux, be pronounced...how?

    Just curious. I'm already almost done, so I'm stuck pronouncing it wrong if I'm wrong.

     
  • At 8/19/2005 5:45 PM, Blogger cori said…

    Oh, sorry about that totally misspelled name. The cardinal (Richelieu) I keep getting mixed with somebody's screen name (richleau) and it's totally confusing!

    Anyhow, how do you pronounce it? Does anyone know?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
Anyone for a cup of tea?
A fair prospect
Ice cream again? It's getting to be a habit.
Y'all ready to go?
Brief and to the Point
Second blogging of the day
In Preparation for a Memorable Event
Sew... guess what I've been up to?
Totally have to catch up on events here
Sundays are long. (what a descriptive word.)
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win