Monday, November 07, 2005
Vacation Traditions
Yesterday I went to church with my grandparents and my brother to my brother-in-law's church. He attends a place very close by their house. They had a get together at their house after the morning service. My aunt and uncle, as well as my parents and grandparents, were there. I was official photographer for the first half of the afternoon, taking pictures either posed or candid as I saw the opportunity arise. :)

After most of the people left, I played cards with CR and his sister, Stephanie, who is visiting for a few days. I taught them how to play canasta. I think I taught Stephanie too well, because after the second game, she beat my score unmercifully. :) Around five o'clock, we were supposed to head over to my aunt's house for dinner. When I got there, Chris, my cousin, was playing basketball with James. Or should I say around James. We moved indoors and Chris showed us his newest guitar, playing a song I had never heard before. Or maybe he was just making it up as he went along, how would I know?

Dinner was great. It reminded me of fellowship dinners at FBF and Saturday nights at the staff center. There were two tables, one with my parents, my aunt and uncle, and the other with James and I, Christopher, CR and Stephanie, my grandma and grandpa. We talked about all kinds of things, from Chris' new car to escalators at the mall. (Had some late experiences with those, right Bree?) It was great fun. I played a game of pool with Stephanie, seeing as she was close to my skill level (extreme beginner) and we didn't have anyone else playing and intimidating us. :)

We talked about movies with my uncle Dave. He told us about this great movie called St. John in Exile. Yeah, the one we gave him. Then he told us about a new one that is just a must-see called Luther. Yeah, the one I bought on Saturday. :) He did tell me about one that I hadn't seen about William Tyndale, but I don't know what it was called. At nine or nine thirty, we started a game of Balderdash. That's always especially fun in my family.

Ok, sometimes family traditions can be a little quirky, sometimes just plain dumb, but this one is great. Every time we come to visit, we spend at least one evening at my aunt's house and stay up as late as we can (reasonably) and play games that make us laugh. Sometimes, we don't even need the games to start the laughter going. It's great. It's one of the things I look forward to. The other is coming up on Thursday.

We're going to Celebration Station to ride the go-carts. Get there at around seven. Buy the tickets and ride the carts until around eleven when they finally kick us out. I so love that place.

Last time we went, we happened to hit a Tuesday night when everything was included for ten bucks. No limit on the arcade games you could play. That was awesome. I remember playing a completely gory game called House of the Dead or something like that with a little boy whose parents had brought him out for his fifth birthday. He was a great little guy and caught on to the two-player strategy extremely fast. It was so cute to see him hold the little gun with both hands and aim it at the screen, and then away again to reload. He stood about two feet from the screen so he could hit the zombie or alien thing he was trying to hit.

Then that same night, James challenged me to a game of ATV racing. So we got on these arcade ATV's and started a race. He hadn't told me how to start the thing, so I sat at the start line for half the race before I figured it out. I watched Chris and Uncle Dave play a police game where they had to stand on a mat and actually duck to miss the flying bullets. The screen would sense where they were standing I guess.

But yeah, that's where we're headed this week sometime. Probably Thursday. Wednesday night at Jess'. Hope to see the Graves family one of the days before we come home. Busy week.
posted by cori 11/07/2005 05:31:00 PM  
 
10 Comments:
  • At 11/07/2005 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What Fun! James: I hope you're having fun too. Like, I haven't seen you in the blogsphere recently? Are you OK? Did the Boogeyman turn you into a furball or something?

     
  • At 11/07/2005 11:45 PM, Blogger cori said…

    what's going on here? you don't sound like the usual jacques?

     
  • At 11/08/2005 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Usage of Proper names?

     
  • At 11/09/2005 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wasn't the usual jacques, but I'm not gonna tell you who he is.

     
  • At 11/09/2005 11:41 PM, Blogger cori said…

    ok people, let's get with the program here. calling yourself by another blog-poster's name and/or impersonating them is right up there on the list with signing yourself anonymous.
    >:(

     
  • At 11/10/2005 5:49 PM, Blogger The Horn Family said…

    I agree with you, Les!

    ~Cara

     
  • At 11/11/2005 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH pa-lease! Let's not start up on the Anonymity subject again.

     
  • At 11/13/2005 5:42 PM, Blogger cori said…

    Well, if you wouldn't try impersonating other people, we wouldn't have to discuss it. Now would we?

     
  • At 11/24/2005 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was saying that they weren't the person that normally uses his name, but he won't tell you who I was.


    If you get our drift........

     
  • At 11/25/2005 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You. Are. Really. Weird.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
What's is worth saying . . .
Running into Old Friends
Just rambling
The start of a new post. I've been having a great ...
A great little group
Blogging from a laptop . . . cool!
Home
Oxymoronic Phrases That Contradict Themselves (wel...
ok here it is
*gasp* There's my picture!
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win