Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Earnest Endeavors
In an attempt to create clothing suited to my personal style, I decided to learn to knit. I have always been rather afraid to attempt this enterprise. It looks so hard and all I knew how to make were dish cloths. And even they ended up coming out somewhat disfigured.

If you have an interest in this skill or in that of crocheting, you may have shopped recently in the craft stores for a pattern to make, for instance, a shawl or poncho. You did not find a crochet pattern. All you found was knitting. This was reason enough for me to learn. I can’t believe I had to learn a whole new approach to sweater making, but really, the crocheted ones are quite bulky and not to be worn in public.

And so, in the interest of creating a sweater that I only find in my imagination, Mom and I headed toward the Schueller home where Mrs. Slack was sitting for Kristi and John. She had told me that whenever I wanted to learn, she’d be happy to show me how to knit.

What an array of patterns! She’s obviously been collecting them over several decades. Everything from baby clothes and adult sweaters and blankets were to be found neatly arranged, each in a separate folio. Mrs. Slack showed me three shirts she is presently working on for her grandchildren. (Caris and Dylan were both there with her. So cute!)

Slightly overwhelmed by the advanced-looking projects she had, I decided that first I’d better learn what a purl is.

Why is it that I when I have a preconceived idea that something is going to be hard, I end up amazed at the ease with which I learn to do it?

Or is it that way because I have a preconceived idea?

No matter. I was soon quite confident that I could remember how to purl. My next question was “how do I increase and decrease?” I kept interrupting my mom and Mrs. Slack with my frustration showing all over my face. At least, that’s what I imagine, for I could not see it myself, but Mrs. Slack seemed to somehow perceive when there was a problem.

Ok, so, purl and knit and increase and decrease . . . what’s raglan?

That lesson over, and Caris napping, Mrs. Slack offered to take me for a drive. “Oh, sure!” Why not? I mean, I can always use the practice and she must be pretty laid back after teaching her own five children how to drive. Surely I couldn’t do anything they hadn’t done. : )

She let me drive Kristi’s nice new car. That made me drive extra careful, knowing that Kristi would kill me if I wrecked her car. K-turns, left turns, U-turns, “don’t do hand-over-hand and put that signal on before you get to the stop sign”. It was a distinct change from Dad only telling me when to turn and to stay in my lane. : )

We made it back in one piece. (Of course, what’d you expect?) There in the driveway, with one two real cars and one make-believe car, I learned how to parallel park. I don’t recommend this method. It’s hard to tell how far away a make-believe car is. It’s also hard to tell how far away a make-believe curb is. And the whole time I was sure Mom was standing at the living room window watching me almost come close to the Honda. : )

After playing with Dylan and Caris for a few hours more and eating a tasty bagel for lunch, Mom and I left for home. I tried to convince her that Walmart was a good idea. I wanted to stop and get some yarn and needles for myself. Wawa was also a good idea. Cappuccino and all. That was two good ideas today. I’m good for a while now.
posted by cori 2/07/2006 05:39:00 PM  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
This is too fun!
Fighting With A 5-Year-Old
In Pursuit of Legal Addictive Stimulants and Intel...
Driving Safely 101
What would this be? like part two or something? I ...
Lacking a more creative title, I will call this po...
Remember when . . . ?
Introducing . . .
And today's quote
Quote of the Day
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win