Saturday, December 30, 2006
A Whole 'Nother Language
Well, here is Saturday so I've been at my new job for two days. I'm told things are slow, which is good because that gives Janet, the lady who's retiring, plenty of time to work with me and take it slow.

I ahve to say that at about ten o'clock Thursday morning, my mind was going fuzzy with all the talk of packing slips, purchase orders, order acknowledgements, invoices, statements, customer invoices, customer numbers, customer nicknames, and purchase order numbers. I thought to myself, "I have so bitten of more than I can chew. And I'll sure never figure out what all this is about." Then some guy, I think his name was Howard, came by and told me I had big shoes to fill.

Janet is obviously extremely meticulous. Very organized. Everything is either alphabetized (new concept!) or in order by date. Everything has a file in either a bin or a drawer. She's been there seven years, so she has task numbers and companies' multiple names memorized. She can recognize a PO number before I've got my highlighter uncapped. Howard was right.

But it seems a fairly easy job. It's the same thing every day. The same steps have to be gone through, but with different documents. First is . . . uh . . . I don't remember what's first. I have a pad of paper that I've been keeping checklists on. I wrote everything down the first day, so the second day, Janet just had to tell me what we were doing next, and I'd know how to do it. It's working pretty well, and when we come to something new, I make little side notes in the margin. Next thing is to make a checklist of jobs to do each day and the order to do them in. Then, after she retires, I won't be totally at a loss. I'll at least know what to do next. :)

The only drawback to this whole thing is that the computer program the company uses was written in 1981. So it's all text based. There is no such thing as point-and-click anything. I always kind of wanted to learn that, but now that I am, they're switching to a new program in June that's Windows based (point-and-click everything). So I have to learn two systems at once. It's not too confusing however. As soon as I see the black screen with all that white lettering, my mind swings into accounting mode. It'll seem so normal to use Windows.

So that's how my two days have been. You mayn't see me here more than Saturdays and Sundays anymore, but that's an improvement over my two-week absences, right?
posted by cori 12/30/2006 08:25:00 AM  
 
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
a.k.a.
Guilty As Charged
Monday's Meandering Mindlessness
Life: Take 17,469
What Sports Car Am I?!?
Intruders Beware!
Italian Cuisine and Sharpie Markers
More like . . . Treasure Protectors
Account of a Birthday Celebration
Tagged Again
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win