Tuesday, August 30, 2005
"I hate saying goodbye."
The title of this post, though a direct quote from a faithful reader, was also a direct quote from myself, as seen in the following account of last night.

Yesterday, when I returned from a doctor's appointment, I received a message from Danny that I'd been invited to dine with her family that evening. What fun! What excited anticipation of pure enjoyment! I simply love spending time at the Davis house. However, I had much to do before I could enjoy myself thoroughly. Laundry for instance. You simply cannot pack clothes in a suitcase if you haven't got them ready to pack. *sigh* So that means you have to get them ready.

But six o'clock rolled around right when it was supposed to (between 5:45 and 6:15) and Mrs. D and Danny picked me up on the way to the grocery store.

Don't ask me why I had so much fun grocery shopping. We didn't do anything differently than when I normally go. Maybe it was the presence of Danielle, making jokes and just making me laugh that made it fun. Maybe it was the candy aisle going to our heads. Maybe it was the way she told those people in the car to stop. Maybe it was the looks on their faces when she did. It may have been anything, but we had fun.

Dinner was fun too. This could also have been for several reasons. Maybe it was because we all sang "Happy Birthday" to Derek. (Really awful. We sounded terrible. No wonder he was laughing at us.) Maybe it was because Manda stuck a french fry on my glass like a lemon while I wasn't looking. Maybe it was that Manda and I teamed up together against Derek to argue whether or not you could be supportive of the Jacobite cause and still not like Bonnie Prince Charlie. Maybe it was the fact that Mrs. D thought that all this was funny, and so I enjoyed it all the more. Maybe it was the tasty food. Maybe it was the company of friends. Whatever it was, we had fun.

Post-dinner, Danielle decided that she liked my shoes. The black sandals. So she and Manda headed upstairs to put on church shoes to match mine. So I followed them. Dana came behind me and we all started having some fun upstairs. Maybe it was the bows that we all put in our hair. Maybe it was the black beauty marks that Danny and Manda put on their faces. Maybe it was that awful red lipstick. Maybe it was the funny orange pants they gave me to put on so we could play Twister. Maybe it was the fact that my black sandals totally did not match the orange pants. Maybe it was just the fun of having no guys around. Maybe it was just because I wanted to have fun. Maybe it was all of it put together, but whatever it was we had fun.

After trying to look as funny as we could (I was all done out in orange by this time, what with the pants and the bow and all), we came down to play Twister. It was so fun! Maybe it was because I'd never played Twister with a CD player. Maybe it was because the little boys kept jumping in on the extra mat and showing us how to do it. Maybe it was watching Kyle sneak out of the kitchen and come try to throw us all off. Maybe it was the way we all bent down at once and hit our heads together. Maybe it was seeing Johnny's sunglasses and hairdo. Maybe it was the sight of Danny's pink bow on top of her head. Maybe it was the knowledge that mine probably looked just as funny. Maybe a lot of things, but whatever it was, we had fun.

Then we started to watch a movie. Sleeping Beauty. That was fun too. Maybe it was that I hadn't seen this movie in years and I could still quote the dialogue. Maybe it was the candy. Maybe it was how every went "SHHH!!!" whenever anyone said anything. Maybe it was that Nathan kept trying to sit on my lap and still reach the candy dish. Maybe it was the way Kyle wouldn't share any of the Reese's cups. Maybe it was how everyone started singing along with the princess when she started dancing with the prince. Maybe it was the way Dana and I danced around the family room in imitation. Maybe it was because we spent the rest of the night was spent watching the funny parts of Ice Age. Maybe it was the movie. Maybe it was the jokes on the part of the viewers. Maybe it was the fact that I was determined to have fun, but whatever it was, I had fun.

When I went to say goodbye, I did not have fun. I was sad. It wasn't because my friends didn't try. I hugged Manda goodbye. I hugged Danielle goodbye. I said goodbye to Kyle. Danielle filled up a bag of Kisses for me. I took the orange bow out of my hair. Derek and Danny took me home. As I walked up the stairs, I told my mom how "I hate saying goodbye."

However, I have since raised my spirits by listening to my favorite Irish CD, (No, it was not the "melancholy" one that certain people dislike. It was the fun one, that always makes me feel better.) and by reminding myself as my mother did, that I'm not going to be gone so very long anyway. 'Sides, I shall see you all here, or at least if I don't, I'll bug you all with phone calls.
posted by cori 8/30/2005 09:56:00 AM  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

The ShugaBowl
Sounds like some kind of sports thing, but in reality, the ShugaBowl is just a little hideaway for me, Sugarcube herself, to let loose my thoughts and occasional creativeness.

Things Peculiar to Myself
Name: cori
Home: Fairborn, Ohio, United States
About Me: I love reading classic novels, listening to music, sewing clothes, drinking really shugary tea
See my complete profile
Quote Me On This
In the interest of interesting my readers, I speak...
Saturday Night At Home
Midnight Musings
Quite frankly, algebra was never my strongest subj...
What a weekend!
Pandimonium Embodied
Normal Sunday Afternoons
Anyone for a cup of tea?
A fair prospect
Ice cream again? It's getting to be a habit.
Don't Quote Me On These
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
July 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
September 2008
October 2008
April 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
December 2010
September 2011
Cool Cyberspots
Goodreads.com
This site is for people who read, which is like, a lot of people.
IMDB.com
This site is for those that like movies, which is also a lot of people.
Favorite Blogs
Beth Stearn
Cara Horn
C.S. Hayden
Dr. Will
Harry Thorton
Jared Yates
Jonathan Boulden
Katie Stearn
Little Havana
Nancy Walker
Preacher Boy
Shiowei Cheng
Super BB
Tim Horn
Tori's Mimi
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
Search & Win